Welcome to Year 5.

Scroll down to see our pupil's accomplished work at Maryland.

Nika Ka Re

Nika Ka Re

Mustafa Ahmed

Mustafa Ahmed

Flood leaflet

Here are some examples of our writing in January 2017.   As part of our 'Elements' theme, we gave pupils the scenario that the school was going to be flooded the following day. We designed an action plan and wrote an advisory leaflet on how to minimise flood damage. 

We had to consider the following criteria:

•What is below 30cm (the predicted level the water would rise to) that water will damage?

•What can we keep dry? What can’t we keep dry?

•Can we prevent the water from getting into the school? How?

•How will we do without electricity?

•What arrangements must be made to provide lunch?

Nika Ka Re.JPG
Julian

Julian

Charis

Charis

Savera

Savera

Here are some examples of our writing in November 2016. We had to write a story based on this frightening picture.

We wrote stories based on this frightening picture.

Harris Burdick story stimulus.PNG

The book – by Aquiles (Aged 8)

He warned her about the book. Now it was too late. Leah was asleep and the book opened. Branches slithered like snakes across her arm and the delicate leaves unfolded, tickling her hand. The thorns spiked into Leah’s arm. She wriggled in fear. When she woke up, she was on a sheep instead of in her bed and she was in a magical forest.

Rain was pouring down like a tidal wave so Leah took shelter in a cave. She grabbed two sticks and rubbed them together to make a torch to carry around. Leah brought it down with her into the depths of the cave where she found a pack of cave wolves.

Leah was covering her ears when she heard the wolves fighting for meat pieces along with the rain and thunder outside. One of the wolves came out. The wolf told her to follow his piglet friend at the top of the cave.

She followed the piglet out of the cave and through the forest. As the trees got smaller and smaller, she was able to jump from tree to tree, and finally on top an amazingly colourful dragon. The dragon turned out to be the piglet’s mum and so both the piglet and Leah rode the dragon through a magic portal which led back home. Leah went back into her room, turning only to say thank you to the piglet. She vowed never to make that mistake again.

Riya, aged 9

Riya, aged 9

Briana, aged 8

Briana, aged 8

Here are some more examples of our writing in November 2016.

Below is diary writing based on our studies about the 'Black Death'.  Scroll down further to find some examples of story writing.

____________     

13 October 1328

 

Dear diary                                                                                                                                      

                Today was the worst day ever! I have the Black Death. Last night I started to feel some pain that was unbearable, that’s when it all began. I saw bubos under my armpit. I woke up with aches all over my body.  I went back to bed but I couldn’t get back to sleep so I looked out the window. All I could see were naked trees and dark clouds. It looked cold and blustery, even though I was sick, I was glad to be inside.  

 

In the morning Mum came in to check on me and offered me some bread, but I couldn’t even think about food because I felt so ill. I felt weak and tired but mum dragged me to the Doctor.  The Doctor gave me terrible news. He said that I have a 90% chance of dying and only a 10% percent of living. I have the Black Death! Who knows what is going to happen?

 

On my way home I saw lots of red crosses on people’s doors, this reminded me that so many other people also have the same disease. I know that the symptoms aren’t curable, I feel so sad but angry too.  All I can think about is how long I have got left to live and all the things I wanted to do but will never get to do. I feel like my life is being stolen from me. Mums calling me, update you tomorrow if I’m still here.

By Jovan , aged 8

                                        

Chantelle

Chantelle

Benjamin

Benjamin

Dominic   

Dominic 

 

 

Everything below the line is work done when we were in Year 3 2015/16.


Some 2016 contributions from Year 3 pupils:



The new and incredible Fire girl

By Sudeshna, Year 3 (Class 8)

By Sudeshna, Year 3 (Class 8)